Let’s talk about summer beauty trends, shall we? Here’s the deets about how I feel about summer: It’s not my favorite season but I manage. Houston summers are H.O.T! I wouldn’t mind the heat so much if we didn’t have so much humidity. After spending a week in Vegas on my honeymoon in the middle of July and actually enjoying the dry desert heat, it was then that I realized the humidity is what makes Houston summers so torturous.
Summer also isn’t very kind to a fair skinned individual. Look at the pictures below and you’ll see what I’m talking about. So with every approaching summer I arm myself with a bevy of products to help fight frizz, harsh sun, and sweat. Oh Lordy, there is so much sweat!
Here are a few of my must-haves:
1. A daily moisturizer with SPF. Do you see this fair skin? Do you know where those freckles came from? They came from years of summers growing up, allowing the Texas sun to pound its harsh rays on my delicate skin. I’ve learned my lesson and now I arm myself every morning with a moisturizer that contains SPF. This Neutrogena brand has really been great and holds up its end of the bargain!
2. A moisturizing hair regimen. I can’t even begin to describe to you what humidity does to my hair. Do you know what causes frizzy hair? A combination of dry hair and water vapor in the air (aka humidity). The best solution for me to help fight the frizz is to use some serious moisturizing hair products to help smooth out my hair and give it that ability to help fight humidity and frizz. My favorite quick, low-cost shampoo and conditioner is Herbal Essences’ Hello Hydration line. I love getting out of the shower and having that clean, light feel that I know is going to look great and hold up once it’s styled.
3. Frizz taming serum. This L’Oreal smooth and shine serum is the perfect cap when styling my hair. Before I flat iron my hair (or even if I let my natural curl take over) I always rub some serum between my palms and apply it to my thick hair. Works every time.
4. A super-fun lip shade. Wearing lipstick is a new trend for me, personally. I’ve never been a lipstick wearer but decided to try this shade and now I’m sold. This Maybelline Coral Crush shade is the perfect color for summer!
5. Serious D.O for my B.O. and to control the sweat. Confession: I’m a sweaty person. I hate it, I’m self-conscious about it, and I avoid sweat as much as possible. But that’s pretty much impossible when you live where I live so I arm myself with what I call “military-grade deodorant.” I went through a lot of trial and error trying to find a deodorant to really help with sweat and finally tried this Degree Clinical Protection deodorant and have noticed it truly working! I can confidently wear my summer wardrobe and trust that this deodorant will help against the embarrassing sweat ring that inevitably always formed under my arms. Thank you!
Those are just a few of my summer essentials and beauty trends. What are a few of your beauty item must-haves for the summer? I’d love to hear!