I’ve silently and diligently been working on decorating each of the kids’ rooms to make their space extra special to them. It’s a feat, you know. Figuring out how to decorate while still maintaining a level of baby-proofing for adventurous little two year olds. They seriously know how to find and get into the most random things in their own space!
Cason, being the more inquisitive one who doesn’t like to just snuggle in his bed, it’s taken some trial and error to figure out how I should decorate his room at this stage in life. No wall decorations within his reach because he’ll bang on them. No shelves at waist level, for he WILL climb them. And no blinds or curtains because he will bend them and pull on them.
So I thought a roman shade would be the perfect answer for his room. If he pulls it back to look outside, it won’t break too much or tumble down off the wall. But man, roman shades are expensive! So like any normal human in this day and age – I searched pinterest for a DIY solution. And voila! I found one! Not only that, they were 1) NO SEW, my bff and 2) using a current set of blinds. Perfect! So I got started!
This red curtain was something that we’ve never used in our current house, but would be perfect for Cason’s red, white, and gray room!
I laid out the blinds on top of the curtain just like the directions told me to.
This is what happens when you leave metal blinds within a toddler’s reach. This is almost all of the blinds in our house. Wooden blinds are on my never-ending list of home purchases.
Next, I cut the ladder strings. Just like the instructions told me to.
And left the thicker middle string in tact. Just like the instructions told me to.
I took the caps off the metal bar at the end…
And cut the string. Just like the instructions told me to.
I then discarded the ladder strings. Just like the instructions told me to.
Then I laid out the 3 main strings across the curtain…
…then added the blinds (ones that weren’t mutilated) and measured them out on the curtain. Just like the instructions told me to.
I hot glued the blind to the fabric then threaded the strings through the holes in the blind. Just like the instructions told me to.
For some extra reinforcements, I used duct tape to hold the blinds on since this is going into a toddler’s room. The instructions didn’t tell me to do this, but I assume the author did not have children.
I hot glued the edges over to fit the size of the window and voila!
A piece of crap, janky, ugly Pinterest fail.
The cheap metal blinds can not handle the weight of the fabric and bend at the edge where the fabric meets the window. And the strings get caught and the shade doesn’t go up and down smoothly.
I spent an entire afternoon on this project. And because I’m all out of options at the moment, this lopsided, crappy roman shade is still hanging up in Cason’s room. One of these days maybe I’ll replace the blinds with dowl rods so the shape is more sturdy.
Or maybe I’ll just cave and buy an actual roman shade from an actual store that actually knows what it’s doing.
Until then I call this…